Seminar #1: Leadership Discovery

 The first seminar was held in Las Cruces at NMSU and it was great!  I am an Aggie and lived  in "Cruces" from 1998 through 2012 so I always enjoy trips back.  

This was our first time meeting our class.  We have people from throughout various parts of the Ag Industry which led to some interesting discussions.  

The seminar was very good with two excellent presenters, Dr. Norris and Dr. Scholz.  They discussed leadership and self awareness.  For Dr. Norris, my biggest take away from her lecture was the question, "What were our pivotal moments that shaped our lives?".  I still think of this question on a daily basis because there were so many moments I've had in my life that if I had a chance to change something, it would reroute my life.  Either way, I am happy with where my choices have led me.  I am the QA Manager for NAPI; I help to feed the Nation and that is a great feat.  

With Dr. Scholz, she talked about Diversity, Inclusion and Equity from a manager's perspective.  We discussed what a leader looks like and sounds like, how do we identify ourselves and what microaggressions are.  I was not familiar with microaggressions but after listening to her examples, I realized I've been around them my whole life.  The benefit of attending Leadership programs as awesome as this one, we learn from them.  It helps us change for the better.  As a leader, we have staff and teammates looking to us for guidance and direction.  In result, my take away from Dr. Scholz, pay attention to what is said and how it is said. 

On the last day, we attended the Class 14 Graduation.  Each fellow shared their program experiences and named seminars that meant something personal to them.  Having this type of connection, has me looking forward to the upcoming seminars because that is how change is made.    Its networking with people, seeing new processes, hearing new ideas and having those experiences that impact your life.  

Upcoming on the seminar list is a conference call about a book called, "Who Moved My Cheese?".  I have heard good things about this book from several people and looking forward to reading it.  Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seminar #2